Monday, June 8, 2009

Defending the Fatherless

Recently I had the opportunity to talk with a friend on a podcast about several things related to the work I’m involved in.  In the course of our conversation he asked me “what one take away could you give me?” 

What a powerful question – and one that reminded me of a saying (that I’m at best only loosely paraphrasing) – the most important thing is making the most important thing the most important thing.  In other words, the thing that needs to consume your time, should be the thing that is the most critical, meaningful and impactful.

So what was my answer to him? I shared James 1:27  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. Then I explained it as I understood it – service to those from whom we have nothing to gain was of extreme importance to God.  We see it throughout scripture in commands to care for orphans, widows, immigrants, the disabled, and the imprisoned.  Without expectation to get anything in return.  It was the same with Jesus…while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8).  He did not come to us with anything to gain, but came to serve and to defend us- when we were orphans.

No comments: