Monday, December 22, 2008

Never Use a Large Word When a Diminutive One Will Suffice

I heard a pastor say this on Sunday…and at first I though “you’re right”. 

You see - I totally missed the joke.

It’s the same way when it comes to some things in the Bible – we read the text and nod in agreement and sometimes miss the point.

Case in point…

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
Luke 2:13-14

Somehow I’ve always had the impression, as a lot of people do, that this was a choir that suddenly appeared in the sky and was happing singing the first Christmas carol – when in fact it was something quite different.

I’ll do my best to present my own paraphrase after taking a look at the Greek.

Unexpectedly, there appear with the angel so many angels from the army of the Lord that the sky appeared to be filled by them, they praised God and shattered the silence of the night with this proclamation – Glory and worship is due to God most high in Heaven and to those on earth peace, and to men good will.

Imagine being one of the shepherds in the field seeing one angel (who caused them to be very afraid)…and then in the middle of the conversation the very army of Heaven appears and fills the sky – glorifying God – now that’s something even I wouldn’t miss.

No comments: