Monday, October 20, 2008

New Bible(s)

This has little to do with the theme of this blog, but I had to share anyway.

This weekend I bought 2 new Bibles… one to carry with me all the time and one for general reading.

Why is this a big deal? If you take a look at my book shelves you would see that I have a lot of Bibles. Some of them are for reading, some are for research and some… well I’ll be honest some don’t get used ever.

When I find a Bible I like, I will use it until it is falling apart… and sometimes longer. A Bible I am retiring is currently held together by a custom made duct tape cover. When people see it I usually get 1 of 2 comments. 1- “do you need money to get a new Bible…” or 2-“man you must read the Bible a lot to wear it out like that…”. The truth of the matter is it’s more like this...I try to take a Bible everywhere I go, in a jungle, up a mountain, on the plane, in a village, in a boat…etc… and to be honest this puts a lot of wear and tear on a Bible.

I like to be able to have the Bible available for a quick verse lookup or just casual reading at a moments notice no matter where I am.

I have heard it said that a Bible in bad shape is a sign of a life that isn’t. Now to get to wearing the new ones out.

No comments: